Thursday, April 15, 2010

DAY 046: MAKING THE THRILLER FILM *****

  It's 3:22 a.m. - just woke up - knocking out the blog before gym/breakfast - then - jumping in the studio and getting hands dirty all day long on the Storyboard.

Up til' 'round 12:15 a.m. last night working on the vidblog on the Storyboard Program - which always
takes a bit more time than one wants - render times - no matter how fast your computer is - is never fast enough. It's like drag racing... you always want to shave some time off that 1/4 mile time - you've never gone fast enough. Ever. Finally said f' it and hit "render all" and went to sleep - praying for a non crash while I slept - the killer of editing that way lol - I hear it all the time - why don't you just do all the edits - then hit render and go to sleep - wake up to finished project - well - lol - because sure enough one will wake up to a project that crashed during some 14 hour render - and you have to start the day off with highlighting all and doing it all again.

I prefer to turtle along. Render in segments.

This weekend starts the search for all the avenues to post audition calls for actors - last time I did this was in Austin - and the three major sites there brought us literally hundreds of talented actors - here in LA will be researching the same type of avenues.

Between writing the script and working on the storyboard over the last weeks solid - I've found - for me - the two platforms help form the movie beautifully - and allows me to easily edit the film in my head - I've already changed 14 items in the script due to the storyboard footage. It's also helped tremendously picking my exact camera shots/angles that the movie needs - which has given me tons of notes to apply to the set design - one set I'll be building will be 12 feet tall -12 feet wide - the camera shots/angles I will be needing - I'll have to build platforms all over the top and side of the set - unless we get a crane - and that cost is out of reach - so - I'll be platform building. One last thing the storyboard is helping with - dialog - yup - dialog - I have always emphatically stated one of the very best ways to test dialog is to get a room of actors to table read the script - one clearly sees what's working - and not. When one hears their script being read out loud - by another voice - it changes everything - Every-time. Every. Time. I tell all screenwriters to do this step - I think about 10% do it. And one wonders why during the edit stage editors pull their hair wondering what to do with all the clunky footage and run-on dialog scenes. Don't believe me - ask an editor - then you'll know. With my storyboard program one can add sound - so we are adding actors voicing their parts over the shots - and hearing the dialog - well - lol - all I can say is - the delete button has been all over the script lol. I love it.

By tonight or Tom'w morn' I'll be posting the storyboard program video and giving lots more info on the program itself.

Keep moving forward friends - if ya don't - you're moving in the wrong direction.

I'm jus' sayin...

OKLAHOMA WARD

BE SURE TO GET ALL YOUR FRIENDS TO SIGN UP WITH THE SITE HERE - IT HELPS US SO MUCH AS AN #EXTREMEINDIE - THAT'S THE HELP WE NEED - PEOPLE SIGNING UP.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the SB video.

    I've read in several books, by the more prominent authors of screenwriting, that having your script read aloud by actors is enlightening beyond your wildest imagination.

    For someone like me, this is not an option on my current project. However, my project is not as significant as your's either. I will have run throughs while on location. If need be I will make changes on the fly. Not the best of circumstances but it's what I've got. Hey, it's $150 short film. This is more learning experience for me, and a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All this talk about the storyboard makes me so anxious to read the whole script! Damn Directors and their secretiveness.. ;)

    Really looking forward to the audition process as well - should be very interesting and a great learning experience.

    ReplyDelete