Tuesday, April 13, 2010

DAY 044: MAKING THE THRILLER FILM *****

DAY 044 of MAKING THE HORROR FILM   *****

3:12 a.m.  I just fired up the G5 in the studio. A fog sits heavy over the beach. The ocean, calm.  It's erie. 

Yesterday was a day that brought concern - for one it's going to take some 20 hour days to get the
storyboard on schedule - it's not so much the program I am using to Storyboard - it's the fact that I am into detail when it comes to visuals. A reality for Directors that is "the" reason many say NEVER let the director edit the movie.  I truly believe - in most directors eyes - the movie is never done. Kubrick had The Shining yanked out his hands because he was never finished with the edit of the Shining - and I think that was a full year after shooting - someone can correct me more on those details - but it's pretty spot on - and the point of that story is more important than the details.

 If you are the Director/creator of a project - moving past the... is it perfect stage - is vital.  It's seeing the overall project - clearly - looking at - objectively - the task/job you are doing at the current moment - assessing accurately how much detail actually needs to be. 

Example:   I could literally spend a full 14 hour day working on three frames of the storyboard - and be very happy doing so - because I love creating the visual. Proud of how I got just the right angle on that characters face in relation to where I want the camera set up - and - the lighting/shading hitting the body exactly how I want it on set. 

But alas - I don't have a team of artists helping me - and time is moving y so fast - deadlines are approaching - they will be here tom'w - and really - who is going to see the storyboards - other than me and a handful of people. 

Sitting back and asking myself on a 15 minute interval - is the image getting across simply what I need it to - if yes - then move on. Doesn't matter if the color is correct - doesn't matter at all.  No one person is going to say... hell - that storyboard don't look that cool - I ain't seeing that movie..... I know this... and still - as I write this - in the back of my head - that little voice goes... but you can at least put that scar on that figures face - how long would that take.

TIME. QUALITY. MONEY.
(three words an #extremeindie filmmaker wrestles with hourly)

Today I will be getting a gadget allowing me to video faster myself to post more vid-blogs. This will allow me to show programs I am using to make the movie - so you can judge for yourself - if ya' like the programs I am using - plus see a little of what it takes to get a project done #extremeindie style.

BE SURE TO GET ALL YOUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY TO SIGN UP AS A MEMBER HERE ON THE SITE - IT HELPS US IN SO MANY WAYS . THANK YOU.

Bottoms up.

I'm just sayin'...

OKLAHOMA WARD

4 comments:

  1. Oh the agony.....to get to the point where you can honestly say to yourself.....there, I'm done.

    Something I learned while doing oil paintings that might help you out. It took me years to come to this realization:

    We have this picture in our heads, and it's incredible. That is what compells us to make it in a physical form so that we can share it with others. Well, no one else knows exactly what that image looks like other than you. If I am doing a painting and some part comes out great, but not exactly as I envisioned it, there is not one person on Earth, other than myself, that knows that part of the painting is "wrong." Sometines people have pointed out the "error" and asked "How did you do this? It's incredible!" Yet, they don't know it is wrong, and because of that, the person for whom the painting was done (audience), sees it is perfect.

    Come to grasps with what people will see as opposed to what you know is right. That is more objective than many people consider. With the SB, it is for your reference. I've done a few storyboards that third graders could do better, but I had all my camera angles, character positions, etc. as I needed them. The REAL stuff gets recorded in the camera. Save your agony, and energy, for that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya my friend. My mother goes through the same thing as a painter - and I did also as a painter - and as a filmmaker. I think I would add to your scenario - to also come to grip with the fact - it will never be perfect - once one comes to grips with that - it's easier to let go certain details that may matter to the one creating - but won't to anyone else. The crux is lol - sometimes those details need to be there - and that's the key ain't it lol - finding that line and toe'n it lol. Ahhhh - a fun life ain't it - a life of art comes with no rules - that's a great thing - but a tough one too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same page. Yeah, nothing we create will ever be perfect. Not as perfect as we see it in our minds. Reminds me of the saying "Sometimes a target is just something to aim for."

    And one more...When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. ~George Fisher

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those two sayings: Sometimes a target is just something to aim for and When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. Those are grand!

    ReplyDelete